Hostel Manager Application
The manager is responsible for organizing a staff of 5 people and overseeing daily operations at the hostel with a kind hand and a clear voice. These duties include but are not limited to accounting, property maintenance, gardening, hiring, and hospitality chores in addition to getting food and other supplies from town, and organizing educational workshops and retreats. Above all, a large focus of the manager is cultural - preserving the morale and direction of the staff and guests.
The manager works in collaboration with the owner for a term of approximately 6 months and is provided with a staff room, 3 meals a day, time off, and a weekly stipend of $150. Through the initial phases of the hostel’s opening, the duties will lean much more heavily on oversight and organization of new construction/garden projects and gathering all necessary resources.
While there are few requirements to be the manager, applicants must be at least 21 years of age, and have a legal drivers license. Experience is valuable, but character even more so. All interested parties are encouraged to apply. If you would like to include a resume with the questions below, it is encouraged though not required.
1. Will you be available for a full 6 month term?
2. Describe your availability in detail.
3. Tell us about your dreams, goals, and future ambitions.
4. Please tell us about any experience or skills you may have in the following areas:
· Administrative organization
5. Describe any of your management skills/experience that would be relevant to this position. Let us know how many people you managed at one time and what the nature of your job/goals were.
6. Describe both your most pleasant and unpleasant working environments, and what made them so.
7. Describe any teaching/mentoring experience you may have.
8. Describe any other relevant skills/experiences that you could share.
9. Why do you want to manage the Lost River Hostel? – If possible, please do this one question in video form and send us a link to where we can see it. It doesn’t need to be long or fancy.
10. What are your plans beyond working at the hostel?
11. What do you hope to gain/achieve by working at the hostel?
12. What is/was your longest lasting relationship – either personal or professional. What made it last so long?
13. Have you been in a situation where you lived with your co-workers? Share with us the context of the scenario, your thoughts, interpretations, lessons, or personal philosophy about the situation.
14. What's your favorite book or film?
15. Hypothetical: A 10 year old child knocks on your door. He/she has a fresh black eye and a couple of small cuts on their face. They show you a picture of their cat on their cell phone, and tell you that it’s missing. They want to know if you’ve seen it. What do you do?
16. What are 3 words to describe yourself that would not be traditionally on a resume?
17. How do you spend your spare time?
18. There are many different aspects of managing the Lost River Hostel. If you were chosen, in what areas would you wish to focus?
19. Anything else you’d like us to know?
Thank you for your time and energy. We look forward to reading your application and talking to you more!